1916 Vulcan Covered Motor-Lorry

BB 8 Vulcan Covered Motor-lorry.jpg
BB 8 Vulcan Covered Motor-lorry.jpg

1916 Vulcan Covered Motor-Lorry

15.00

Brothers Thomas and Joseph Hampson had built an experimental car in Bolton in 1899. In 1902 they moved to Southport trading as Vulcan Motor Manufacturing and Trading and built a car, a 4hp single-cylinder belt-driven type driving the rear wheels through a 2-speed gearbox and belt to the back axle. In 1903, this grew to 6.5hp with shaft drive and the chassis became "armoured ash". Twin-cylinder 1.5 l models followed in 1904 with steel chassis and in 1905, 2 and then 3 l 4-cylinder types appeared. A van came in 1906 along with 4.8 l 6-cylinder models and a move to premises at Crossens, Southport. The 6-cylinder model grew to 6 l in 1908. In 1912, a new small car, the 10/12 of 1.8 l with 2-cylinder Aster engine, was added. At the outbreak of World War I, a 30 cwt (1.5 long tons) truck was also offered. That is the image we have here. This model saw use as an ambulance in Britain, India, Belgium, Russia, and Portugal. In 1916, the Hampson brothers left the company and it was reformed as Vulcan Motor Engineering (1916) under the control of C.B. Wardman. In 1918, the company bought Southport F.C. which was renamed Southport Vulcan — thus becoming the first football club to take a sponsor's name. The manufacturers were taken over by Tilling-Stevens Limited in 1939, and this firm was absorbed into the Rootes Group of companies in 1952 when production of commercial vehicles under the name of Vulcan ceased. This vehicle was rescued and restored by the late JH Sparshatt of Portsmouth.

Quantity:
Add To Cart

Length: 4.57m (15ft)

Width: 1.73m (5 ft 8 in)

Height: 2.67m (8 ft 9 in)

Unladen weight: c. 2,000 Kg (2 tons)

Payload: 1520 Kg (30 cwt)

Front track: 1.42m (4 ft 8 in)

Rear track: 1,45m (4 ft 9 in)

Wheelbase: 3.1m (10 ft 2 in)

Front tyres: Solid rubber

Rear tyres: Twin solid rubber

Springs front and rear: Semi-elliptic

Cylinders: 4 cast in monobloc

Bore: 95mm

Stroke: 130 mm

Ignition: Magneto

H.P: 22·4

Clutch: Ferodo-lined cone

Gears: 4 forward and reverse

Max speed: 20 mph